Stoke Alarm

I woke up yesterday and went to class with Tarik. I heard that Nate Brown was a crazy bad-ass professor and I wanted to see for myself. He looked different than how I had seen him before, so I didn't know if it was him when he walked in. But when he started talking I could tell it was definitely him, so that was good. When Tarik walked in a little late, he said, "You have a cat on your chest." It was the Chairman Meow shirt that I had made him. Also, Hortense was in this class, and I didn't know it, so we were both surprised when I walked in, and she got up and gave me a hug, which was very nice. Some kid drank water from a mason jar and Nate asked him if he was seriously drinking moonshine in class. He called him moonshine kid the rest of the day. We filled out a questionnaire about math and one question said "Mathematicians are crazy because..." Tarik responded "they're making up for their large... endowments" and I responded "because they all have syphilis." I spelled it wrong, though. He proved to us that we don't see color in our peripheral vision, which is pretty cool.

I went back to the dorm, and eventually decided it was time to get up and do something, so I went to BB&B to get a sheet for my futon. The cheapest one I could find was in a set and it came with a flat sheet, fitted sheet, and pillow cases. It's blue and silky. I didn't know if a fitted sheet was what I thought it was so I asked a store worker and he got sassy with me.

I came back and put it on my bed. I forget what I did for the next little while, probably just hung out with people, but I know that I had French at 4:40. So I went there at that time, and was pretty sure I was going into a room, but a kid walked in at the same time as me and said, "...not French," and then left, so I left too. Turns out he was looking for "Not-French," and this was French, so I had to go in again.

Oh, I remember. I bought textbooks, and it took longer than I thought it would. I tried to get some online but the prices weren't really as good as I had hoped, so I just got them all at the store.

Well anyway, French was okay. The teacher is young and nice but talks in French very often and so I don't know what she's saying a good amount of the time, though I can tell that I'm already getting better (second day). She told us to make a student info sheet, just write a little bit about ourselves on a piece of paper. I felt like doing something fun so I made a 12-piece comic about my life instead. I actually worked on it for a good while, a few hours probably. But it turned out pretty nice I think.

I went to dinner with Jackie and Ariel after class (found them in the piano place in Atherton) and then went to West. I thought we were just meeting with a couple people, but it was like 15 people, and I didn't know anyone and sat at the edge of the table, which was poor positioning. I got some rice and some cereal and realized I wasn't talking to anyone and decided to pretty much call it quits and went back to the dorm. I think I worked on the comic for a while when I did. I didn't finish it till midnight.

After working for a while, Megan texted me to get her stuff and to go around and meet people, so we went and did that for a bit. Even before we left her room, Tiffany stopped by and told us that being a math teacher was awesome and talked to us about her student teaching 8th grade math and how much she liked it. By the time we got to the first door, another RA had stopped in and talked to us too. It was Katharine, the one who commented on my wall pictures and my piano playing from the year before. We met a good number of nice people. I remember the tall pair of girls, I think Annie and Julie, seemed the coolest. We were afraid of people in singles, but the one girl who studies geology and went to South Africa was cool.

We wanted to make waffles in Emily's room later, so other people went to get oil and found some at Louie's while I went to briefly talk to Lisa. Tarik showed up and needed to be let in, so I put him on the phone with Lisa while I went down to get him, and they talked on the phone until he made it to her door. We went to have waffles but I didn't really feel like having one. There was apple butter, which was apparently very good, though I didn't smell any. I watched the late version of The Daily Show with Emily before I went to sleep. It was good; the Mosque bit was funny, once again.

Peace out.

posted by Singing Farewell 11:22 PM on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home