|
|
|
|
MyAmericanLife
Since the beginning of high school, storytelling has been an important part of my life. Admittedly, that part of my life that has only lasted four years, but they are the most important years thus far. It began as a personal experience. Pit parties. They weren't parties in the traditional sense. Sure, there was food, conversation, and a bunch of people who got along well, but all of the music we made ourselves and never once was there alcohol. Dishearteningly, one German exchange student commented that perhaps "pit gathering" was a more appropriate term. Still, nearly every single weekend of 2006-2007, I "partied" hardy, and the main focus of these parties was storytelling. That golden age has since passed, but the community experience has given me a better appreciation of verbal storytelling. My dad, being an avid listener of NPR, initially exposed me to ThisAmericanLife. However, due to the varied nature of the content, I failed realize that it broadcast regularly. It took another member of the pit community for TAL to really sink in. That friend was Jeff. But I tell so many stories about Jeff, I eventually realize it and start leaving out his name. Anyways, because I love storytelling and I love writing, I considered that maybe ThisAmericanLife would be a good place for me to intern. Looking up their internship requirements, I could possibly fit the bill (providing I can convey my awesomeness through email). Two of the specific requirements for submission were to A.) Submit two stories you think could go on the show, and B.) to tell your favorite story. The first requirement struck me as an interesting prompt. Eventually, I came up with the following suggestions: The Competitive World of High School Quiz Bowl -The long time rivalry between my high school and one-that-shall-not-be-named, how we buried the hatchet (into their instructor's back) and found friendship in finding a common enemy. Once Time, at Band Camp... -Scandal, Heartbreak, and Heat Stroke, from co-ed mingling in the practice room, to the infamous freshman initiation, to "how I learned to stop being scared and sing." A collection of stories. Possibly including the Pit Soap Opera. Untitled -currently unspecified mystery surrounding my Uncle Pat and how it has affected my generation of cousins As for my favorite story, that may take a little longer to pin down.
|
|
Post a Comment
Home