Logic

Writers must consider pathos, logos, and ethos in their writing... or this is what I am told. However, I have been perfectly content considering nothing but my own completely illogical thoughts for most of my existence. That is until my writing started being graded. The moment there is a grading scale for "artistic expression" is the same moment art turns into something much less. That is why my favorite form of communication is through what my friends often referred to throughout high school as "Jackie rants." Now such rants do not follow the ordinary form of the classic rant in which the primary purpose is to relieve stress and convey some type of end message. No, my rants were known for expressing the pure emotion, or lack of emotion, which plagued me at the time.

Have you ever seen a sad movie and laughed? During "Dear John" I did just that. I laughed at the woman two rows over who was in tears at the portion where John says he has re-enlisted. Now one must wonder, how could I be so heartless? Well, when I do not feel inclined to feel certain emotions, I tend to direct the "feelings" towards other emotions I prefer. In general my favorite emotions are anger and laughter. If I am in pain, I laugh. If I miss someone I find a way to get angry at him or her. If I feel vulnerable I tend to get extremely angry. If I'm hurt, I laugh. I find comfort in not feeling the right emotion.

That reminds me of the different theories of feeling psychology. If you smile, you feel happy. If you feel happy you smile. I believe it was the dual theory that said something along those lines... of course I got a 4 on my Psychology AP test so my memory on the topic is most likely more wrong than right.

The AP system in my old school district was quite flawed. My school district is attempting to force students into more AP classes. Thus, watering down the AP classes and taking away from the integrity of learning in a "college-course." Also, the grossly unqualified teachers teaching AP courses does not help much. On that note, one must also note there are certain teachers that try to encourage personal growth in their students and others that resent talented students for their abilities. There is a certain amount of jealousy that can be found that clouds the judgment of some teachers unfortunately. I discussed this idea with my teacher in high school who noted that her co-workers took three basic approaches to their careers. Theses were: "I want to stimulate these kids," "I want to throw these kids out of a window, get me my paycheck," and "I'm not going anywhere from here, get me my paycheck." SO UNFORTUNATE.

I made some very good connections with my teachers in high school. Many of them will be my lasting friends whom I project continued correspondence with. Now there are others who would have made windows in their classrooms just to throw me out of. The surprising fact is that I barely ever spoke in those classes. If I felt a teacher did not deserve my academic regard, I generally did not speak in that class. Apparently teachers talk to each other, and it would confuse a certain amount of them why I was an exemplary student in other classes and mediocre in their own. The answer is simple: depending upon my circadian rhythm - I may or may not be awake in your class.

posted by Jackie 3:10 PM on Sunday, August 1, 2010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home