Internet Connection

I joined OkCupid about a month ago, partly out of curiosity and partly out of "it would be flattering if guys were interested." It's not so much out of vainglory as not having a good sense of how others perceive me. Caring about what others think of me has not been my verb since middle school, before the dawn of puberty, and it never caught on with the onset of flirting. It was shocking, flattering, and horrifically awkward when my mom would point out guys checking out my ass. She also held no consideration to whether or not my little brother was in earshot. In fact, she once made it a point to proclaim such a fact in the presence of my then crush, just so that "he knew he had something special." I wasn't quite mortified as amused and appreciative of the good intention. Just like it was a surprise to find then, it is a surprise now. Since then, I have been bombarded by messages. Diligently, I make a point to answer every first inquiry, but it's usually very obvious whether or not I will continue the correspondence. Some of them are interesting guys. Many are not. A number of first messages begin, "hey your cute." These, I ignore. Though I can't fathom how their system works, the site sent me an email saying that I am in the upper half of Cupid's users in terms of attractiveness. In recent days, I've been enthusiastically busy with life, liberty, and the pursuit of a college education. Friends desperately make plans to try and catch up before leaving for school. The frantic scheduling leaves little time for the internet. Several of these recent days, I've ignored the web entirely. Plus, my interest in OkC has tanked. There are two guys whose conversations I enjoy. One goes to school in Boston. The other is 27.

posted by goobaloo 12:54 AM on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home