|
|
|
|
Hao Ke-Ai =]
Apparently Ariel wants me to write about something happy - I suppose that is a good goal. Only a few days ago, my policy was "I refuse to learn chords." Now, as childish as this may seem to declare, I actually do have a reason for my particular disdain. Around the age of 11 I started to compete at music festivals, in particular the Dorothy Sutton Music festival hosted by PMTA (Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association). At the age of eleven, I still was timid, almost to the point of being taciturn. Such a child could not possibly to convinced that performing in a private room with two judges would be a "fun and rewarding event," as my parents and Wang Lao Si (this is how I referred to my piano teacher... obviously she was Chinese). Now, what does this little competition have to do with chords? The second part of this torturous and obviously scarring event was the written portion. Basic music theory was also tested during this competition. The performance portion was judged with ratings that most musicians recognize in descending order: Superior, Excellent, Good, etc. The music theory test required at least a 92% to pass the level. There were eight levels from my recollection. I never failed a level and mostly advanced to the state performance level. However, I still remember the nervous tapping of my foot, scratching my arm out of agitation until it resembled the color of a tomato, and my clammy hands. Three months of grueling practice and memorization of two pieces, one always from the Romantic Era and the other from the Classic or Baroque Era. I would always be calm until five minutes before the actual performance. I do not do well under pressure... One interesting exchange I must note between myself and the judges was during my last festival. After performing a pieces composed by Haydn and Bach, the judge with medium length curly brown hair and a rather raspy voice directly to my right asked me, "Which piece did you enjoy more." My immediate response was, "The piece by Haydn." She said that it was quite obvious my preference. When she asked me why I connected more with Haydn I responded, "When I play romantic pieces, I don't enjoy it. I don't believe in love songs." Oh those words stung strongly of bitterness. So where is the positive part of this post? Right here: I've admitted defeat. Although my hands do naturally fall into chords on the piano, I am now willing to learn them... with some reserve I say this. My favorite songs to play are "Only Exception" by Paramore, "Love Story" and "You Belong with Me" by Taylor Swift, and "Fall for You" by Secondhand Serenade. It is quite apparent that my dislike of love songs has faded. However, if you listen to my random music rants, most likely you will hear a sad part or two... or the whole this will be sad. The happy part is that I'm making improvements little by little...
|
|
Post a Comment
Home